The 26 Documents You Will Need Before You Die
by Ross Naylor
Have you ever thought about how you would like your affairs to be left in the event of your sudden death?
Here is a list of 26 documents that you should collect in order to make things easier for those you leave behind.
Birth, Marriage and Divorce
1. Personal birth certificate
2. Marriage licence
3. Divorce papers
4. Birth certificate/adoption papers for minor children
Life Insurance and Retirement
5. Life insurance policy documents (including beneficiary nominations)
6. Personal pension documents
7. Employer pension details
8. Annuity documents
9. Details of any entitlement to state pensions
10. List of bank accounts
11. Details of safe deposit boxes
Proof of Ownership
12. Property, land and cemetery deeds
13. Mortgage details
14. Proof of loads made
15. Proof of debts owed
16. Vehicle ownership documents
17. Stock certificates, brokerage accounts, investment platform details
18. Details of premium bonds, government bonds, investment bonds
19. Partnership and corporate operating/ownership agreements (including offshore companies)
20. Tax returns
22. Instruction letter
23. Trust documents
24. Burial/cremation wishes
25. List of names and contact numbers for: Financial adviser, doctor, lawyer/solicitor, accountant, insurance broker.
26. Details of your on-line life – A list of your usernames/passwords for your e-mail accounts, online bank accounts etc.